Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Feb. 18

February 18.
We left Cajamarca at 8:30 and our plan was to drive inland to Huaraz. 
Very shortly after leaving town we lost Manfred and Monica. We waited a while and figured thy decided to visit some of the archeological sites so we drove on.
There was lots of road repair and some closures, talking to some men who work for a Canadian mining company we were advised not to take the inland route asthe road is in very bad shape and if you break down it is a very long time before help arrives. So we decided to play it safe and head for Trujillo.
Along the way Norbert had the front end of the van greased wile we had lunsh.
About 2 hours later we felt a vibration and Norbert figured it had to do with the driveshaft. We still had to climb up to14,000 feet and needless to say that we were both very tense as there is no shoulder to pull off and we were in dense fog. Norbert concentrated on the driveshaft and I on intense prayer. We made it to Otuzco and are now at a gas station with a mechanical shop. Sure enough, the universal joint was gone. As we could not get the correct replacement part the mechanic fixed ours with used parts he had around. The Blue Wonder is as good as new. We are now 12 km. north of Trujillo called Huanchaco. At motel and camping Gardens with two french campers. Will do some cleaning laundry and shopping before we head south. Have not headr from Monika and Manfred since we lost them shortly after Cajamarca. Hope to meet up with them again.
Hugs to all.
Norbert and Greti. 
I wish Norbert could see the drop off from my point of view.


Ceasar fixing the Universal joint

ready to go again


  1. I AM IMPRESSED WITH THE OVER-THE-ROAD REPAIR at a local shop in an apparently small town in-the-middle-of-nowhere! Then again .. what I think of as a small town may well be a metropolitan hub down there. Smiles from Cap and Patti ..

  2. Hey-You-Guys .. do you pay Google for your web site? I have to pay Google a monthly stipend because evidently I have far too many photos on my web site for them to continue to give-it-to-me-for-free! Anyhow .. I pay Google with a credit card. My credit card company (saying they were helping me!) stopped my card and re-issued me a new card with a new card number thus NEGATING the card I have-on-file with Google. I CAN NOT .. NOT .. NOT .. FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out how to tell Google about a new card. I have tried telephoning them etc. And I mean ETC! I don't want to lose my web site because of this. Smiles .. Any Suggestions?? .. Smiles from Cap up in Alaska .. My e-mail (well one of them!) is: .. Thanks for your e-mail wondering where I have gone.