Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Feb. 10

Today we drove up to the volcano Chimborazo, it is very seldom clear but we got lucky and it was clear for 10 minutes and as we drove up it was covered in clouds Chimborazu is the highest mountain in Ecuador at 6310 meters. The Blue Wonder made it up to 15,890 feet without wings.
Norbert was fine but I had to move slow and berating was laboured.  We had to go down after 30 min. and it took all afternoon for my hearing to return to normal.
We saw lots of Vicunas as thy are a protected species.  Buying the ticket to enter the park we met another Canadian from Montreal, we were both surprised to meet.
We are now in Riobamba and will travel to Alausi where we take the train to Nariz del Diablo. ( devils nose). 
Arrived in Alausi just in time for a political parade and as it was sunday all the indigenous people come down from the mountains to market, what a colourful scene. We took the train up to Nariz del Diablo and the scenery was well worth wile the trip and also the museum. At the museum there is a plaque thanking Canada for the contribution, it turns out that Canada donated a coffee machine to the restaurant, so now thy sell cappuccino, lattes and so forth and are earning money for the upkeep.the guide even thanked me profusely. Again we slept in a secure parking lot which is run by a very nice lady. Today we drove to cuenca and on the way visited Inca ruins and had a nice tour. From there we went on to Cuenca. As we were looking for parking in the historical centre, a gentleman purposefully strode over to us, he had seen our canadian flag, his name is Robyn and hails from Alberta now living in Ecuador, he invited us to his place which is a 5 minute walk from the centre, we are parked in front of his place and there is a security man patrolling the street 24/7. We surprised his wife  Tamara But she was very gracious and served us tee and fresh baked cookies. Went for a walk in town and found Wunderbar, a german restaurant were we had schnitzel with spaetzle and sauerkraut plus good beer. One never knows what the day will bring. Today Robyn showed us around town, it is so nice to see places outside of the tourist section and get to know the real Ecuador. Cuenca is a city of perfect mix of historical and modern and as it is a university town a lot of cultural places to see. One needs to spend more time here.
A big thank you to Tamara and Robyn for your hospitality.
Hugs to all.
Norbert and Greti.
Cotopaxi showing its glory for 10 minutes

Vicuna 

Add caption


Welcome Parade?
Our host's Tamara and Robyn in Cuenca
This is the average height of the Ecuadorian, no wonder thy all llok at Norbert 


Hungry for Guinea pig?
Made itup without wings

4 comments:

  1. Hola Amigos
    I was writing for a while and I lost the comment ........very frustrating
    I would like to let you know that through all the moments that you both are sharing when you are posting the pictures, I am feeling that I am going to be able to say, one day, at the very end of your incredible adventure....... I was traveling to South America and I know that it will be happening because of you amigos
    Follow the spot I can see that you are almost crossing the border...........Peru is waiting .....Machu Pichu is now closer and when you start climbing the mountain there I am going to be walking right beside you ........
    Keep driving safe and easy
    Love you
    BUEN CAMINO AMIGOS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Amigos
    I was writing for a while and I lost the comment ........very frustrating
    I would like to let you know that through all the moments that you both are sharing when you are posting the pictures, I am feeling that I am going to be able to say, one day, at the very end of your incredible adventure....... I was traveling to South America and I know that it will be happening because of you amigos
    Follow the spot I can see that you are almost crossing the border...........Peru is waiting .....Machu Pichu is now closer and when you start climbing the mountain there I am going to be walking right beside you ........
    Keep driving safe and easy
    Love you
    BUEN CAMINO AMIGOS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo fellow Vancouverites! You certainly have great experiences and we enjoy following your travel report. Will you also visit Machu Picchu? This is an absolutely fantastic trip. And still so much more to come until Argentina.

    Enjoy and keep on telling all.
    Anita and Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellooo there .....! Where are you ??
    Sorry about 2 identical comments, it was not my intention..........
    I really want or I have tried to sent you the one that I lost , where I was talking about red as the favourite colour , the beauty of the girl's face ( a picture to make a wonderful piece of art on one of my new house's wall ), the high altitude that you are hiking to ....and so on...
    Now I am here, back to you trying to find out how is your Sunday morning over there
    I big hug from here
    BUEN CAMINO AMIGOS

    ReplyDelete